Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Overcoming Anxiety and Receiving Strength

Many of us readily seek God and praise Him during happy times. However, when stress and anxiety start to come our way, we forget that He is more powerful than our strife. Instead of seeking refuge in Him, we count on ourselves to carry the burden. Lately I have been slacking in school due to the myriad extracurricular activities I participate in. In addition to being Vice President for Beta Theta Omicron, Skyline College's chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, I am also a member of the Earth Day Committee, Online Chair for Relay 4 Life San Bruno 2012, Public Relations Coordinator for the Environmental Club, a volunteer at the Pacifica Community Center, and tutor to Nancy, a visually impaired student. Although small duties when looked at separately, they stack up when combined. I know it is always better to help. Nonetheless, spreading oneself too thin does not benefit anyone either.

2 Corinthians 9:8 reminds me that: "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." He promises to give me more than what is sufficient to fulfill my responsibilities, I just have to ask and petition for strength from Jesus Christ. He will not give me obligations that I cannot handle, or work that I cannot use to glorify Him.  When God blesses us with wealth, whether in the mental, physical, material, or spiritual context, He expects us to use these to give back to others.

Tonight, I only pray that God chisels me into becoming more Christ-like. What is the purpose of serving others if I complain about my lack of time and turn bitter in the process. God wants us to "Do everything without grumbling or arguing" (Philippians 2:14), simply reiterating that when we do good, we have to do so with a willing heart. All our endeavors need to be God-centered in order for us to reap most out of what we sow. As pursuing what is human desire will wear us out, whereas "to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace" (Romans 8:6).

In closing, I feel a different energy and exuberance as when I began writing this entry. I was overwhelmed and ready to give up at first, but now I am filled with ease that Jesus will walk and lead me through my busy schedule. I put my complete trust in Him, that His grace and mercy will sustain me and I will overcome this temporary adversity. God is able to keep us from falling, and He is able to provide. God definitely does not give us a problem-free life. But once we are sober and realize our necessity to have His will overrun ours, the world becomes easier to manage. God's plan for me is perfect, and I will continue to honor Him through thick and thin.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:6-7

☮ and ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment