Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Constant Struggle to Glorify God

Glorifying God is not as easy as it seems. It is not simply saying "All Glory to Him" when we receive a compliment, nor is it exclaiming "Praise God!" when we attain success. These are good outward displays of our appreciation and thanks for Him, however, what matters most in God's eyes is our hearts. The enemy is constantly lurking, waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack us and postpone God's perfect will. While our purpose may be selfless and our desires are innocent, we can never avoid the temptation of taking and enjoying the credit that is rightfully God's.

For the past year, I have made it a point to go beyond myself for other people each time I have the opportunity. I made it my personal goal to give back as my response to the numerous blessings God constantly showers upon me. I co-coordinated a successful service program for our honor society called CLICS (Computer Literacy and Internet Competency for Seniors) for our local community, where we provide senior citizens with one-on-one computer instruction. I volunteer my time to help fundraise for various nonprofit organizations like UNICEF, Make-a-Wish, and the American Cancer Society. And I tutor a partially blind student for most of my free-time, hoping to positively impact her academic and educational journey. People tell me I am such a kind soul, and that I deserve all the good things in life. However, I find myself questioning my motives, and become bothered with the same problem over and over: Am I doing this for God's glory, or for the personal gain of feeling pious and receiving praise?

I spoke to one of my good friends about my inner struggle. I shared how it has disturbed me immensely, as glorifying God becomes difficult when the issue of pride and self-esteem enters the picture. Thankfully, I communicated my concerns to someone who shared the same struggle. He told me how all of us are blessed with talents and gifts, whether it be in the form of singing or a giving heart, to bless others back with God's love. My friend has always been complimented for his angelic voice. He sings at his church choir, and is well-admired for this talent. Each time before he sings before the congregation, he prays that God be glorified through his service. It is a constant struggle to give the spotlight to God, when it is effortless to just embrace the glory. The enemy will always aim to confuse our intentions and muddle our thoughts, yet when we perseveringly seek God amidst all this cloud, we are assured that His purpose will always prevail.

My conversation with my friend has reminded me to consult God first before pursuing any endeavor. Good works are great, but when they are God-centered, the results will be to a much more significant extent than we could ever realize. I remember the story of Cain and Abel. Both of them had given their burnt offerings to God, Cain brought fruit and ground, while Abel sacrificed the firstborn of his flock (Genesis 4). God was happy with Abel because this was the offering He had asked for. Unfortunately, though Cain's offering was well meaning, this was not what God wanted from him. No matter how much I give back to others, if these deeds are not what God calls me to do, then I am pleasing myself and not God. Knowing and understanding God's design for our everyday lives will not be as complicated if we only focus on building a relationship with God. Develop a friendship and kinship with Him first, and all the answers to our cares will follow.

Glorifying God completely is still a battle for me. I want my actions to be inspired and moved by the grace of God, that others may see His love when they see me. It is easy to publicly proclaim glory be to God, however it is difficult to magnify His glory through our beings if our intentions are not fixed upon Him. Our chief goal in life should be to glorify God, and I will not stop praying that God overflows me with His love and presence. So that "now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death" (Philippians 1:20 NIV). Giving back is commendable, but to give back as driven by the Lord is amazing.

☮ and ♥

2 comments:

  1. Based on my experience, a lot of people would tend to boast their good deeds because of the pleasure of hearing compliments and recognition from others and at some point they would even say that their doings are for the Glory of God without really meaning it ( I think you would know when words are genuine). However, yours is different. You humble yourself before God consulted Him and recognize His plans for you and the things He wanted you to do before doing it. The compliments are just bonuses and His way of telling you you've done a good job. I couldn't agree more... we should always put God first before anything... it is the way of Glorifying Him. May God Bless your pure heart and good soul even more:)

    P.S. You know who I am hahaha:))):)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RC,

      It means a lot to me that you see God in my good works. It empowers me, that at least I am doing something right. I only pray that He will be amplified and glorified through me, whether in words or in deeds. Thank you for your kind words. You encourage me to continue and even go further on in my walk with Jesus. I love you, Girl!

      Xo, Denice

      Delete