Friday, March 16, 2012

Club Rush 2012

I do not know what I have done for God to be so merciful and gracious to me. Each time I fall short of His glory, He picks me up and redeems me. Whenever I begin to doubt myself and feel unworthy, God surprises me with treats and reminds me that He has my back. Yesterday was Club Rush at my college, so it was a long day for me. I am involved in many organizations at school, so I arrived home drained and tired. Nonetheless, God shifts my mood and motivates me to continue my good work. I received my All-California Academic Team medallion and certificate in the mail last night. I was informed of about my selection into the academic team a month ago, but having the awards packet in my hands just exudes a different, very positive sense of emotion.

All-California Academic Team Certificate and Medallion
Only 68 out of 2.9 million California community college students are awarded this distinction. Academic team members are selected based on academic achievement, community service, and involvement in campus activities. So I praise God for the opportunity to serve my college and community with His grace. Furthermore, I would like to thank the professors who took the time to nominate, recommend, and finally pave the way for this state-wide honor. I will forever be grateful for the lessons and practical experiences I have learned from my advisor, Dr. Christine Case and instructor, Kathleen Feinblum.

The description on the 2012 All-California Academic Team program.
In addition to this good news, while exhausting, Club Rush was very fun and exciting! Club Rush is a semi-annual event wherein various school organizations come out and set up tables to recruit new members and encourage involvement. It has always been an effective means of engaging students into becoming active individuals in the college, and enable us to fellowship and build networks with each other.

(L-R) Christina, Denice and my awkward leg, Camille, and Norman showing off our Beta Theta Omicron booth boards.
Although I am also part of the Skyline Christian Fellowship Club, I mainly manned our Phi Theta Kappa: Beta Theta Omicron and Environmental Club booths. It is difficult to imagine that this will be my last semester. These campus activities are what have made my school life interesting and valuable. Time goes by real fast, like running water slipping through our fingers.

Everyone is all smiles for Club Rush - Spring 2012
This semester, Beta Theta Omicron focused on promoting the importance of finishing community college with an A.A or A.S. degree. Many students drop out or transfer without even trying to earn credentials for themselves. We gave out bookmarks with helpful facts about the advantages of being certified for completing education. This is our contribution to the nationwide C4 (Community College Completion Corps) initiative, and helping create the solution for America's shrinking labor force.

Student body president nominee, Mark Lipkin supports our initiative.
Skyline Go Green, on the other hand, stressed on our cause against water bottle consumption for the upcoming International World Water Day on March 22nd. We are hosting a "Flow: for the love of water" film showing event on that same day to advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. "FLOW" confronts the disturbing reality that our crucial resource is dwindling. The documentary discusses the effects of pollution, wastefulness, privatization, and corporate greed to every aspect of our human life. It warns viewers of the dangers such abuse to our water supply will cause. "FLOW" presents us with the sad realities of water scarcity at different parts of the world, and how the Earth will eventually become uninhabitable and humankind, extinct, if we continue with our careless practices. 

The Environmental Club booth and our poster made by yours truly!
Club Rush was hectic, but festive. We had a great time meeting new people and promulgating our initiatives. It was especially memorable for me since a lot of us will be transferring or leaving soon. The friendships formed while I was in service will forever be etched in my heart. I know Spring's going to pass by real quick, but I will definitely treasure and make the best out of every moment.

Emma and I form a heart.
God is beyond good and beyond amazing. I would not be able to do what I do today, without His strength and guidance. When I think about giving up, He carries me through my predicament. He spoils me with His love and blessings, reminding me that I am His daughter, and I will never be alone. God has not only blessed me with the confidence that I can achieve success, but with people and friends without whom I would feel helpless and lost. God deserves all praise!

☮ and ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment