Monday, March 12, 2012

ΦΘΚ NV/CA Regional Convention 2012

The Phi Theta Kappa NV/CA Regional Convention 2012 was held on March 9-10, 2012 at the Suncoast Hotel in Las Vegas, NV. This was my first ΦΘΚ regional convention, so you could imagine how nervous I was for the awards ceremony. Beta Theta Omicron, the ΦΘΚ chapter at Skyline College, has worked so hard the past year to continue the excellence and example that our ΒΘΟ alumni have set for us. Hence the convention offered not only a sense of reward for the time and dedication we put into the chapter, but has also created mixed emotions for me over the fact that my term of office is nearing an end.


Beta Theta Omicron represents at the Phi Theta Kappa NV/CA Regional Convention


Looking back 365 days ago, I was not the same person that I am today. I was just an average student then, whose goal was simply to fulfill my required credit units and transfer to a four-year university. If anything, my Phi Theta Kappa experience has taught me that age is not a factor in determining success, nor is the length of time one invests in a particular project. With discipline and constant follow-through, we are able to accomplish the outcome that we envision.


Best friends and co-officers. We are ugly and pretty together. It's called solidarity!
Through ΦΘΚ I was able to build lifelong friendships    peers or colleagues with whom I share intellectual exchanges, trust as my support system, and seek for encouragement and advice. It was in Phi Theta Kappa that I learned to be a scholar-servant-leader; through its various scholarship programs that aim to uncover the community college student's potential not only in the field of academia, but also at the personal and holistic level.

My good friend and 2011 ΦΘΚ NW District Vice President, Arvind Ravichandran.
Phi Theta Kappa has served as my foundation for success in life. It has propelled me, as well as my fellow honor society members, to brainstorm and come up with prospective plans that we can then execute for the good of society. As trite an expression as this may seem, ΦΘΚ made me realize that we are never too young and it is never too soon to make a difference in our community.

My co-BOOfficers. I love these ladies to death.
(L-R) Denice, Camille, and Amber
We committed an immense amount of effort into all ΦΘΚ endeavors that our chapter participated in. Therefore the regional convention awards ceremony was the icing on our cake, as we were able to reap the recognition that we have earnestly sowed through the leadership and service programs that we led and cultivated for ΒΘΟ.

BOOs Anton, Denice, Camille, and Amber were sent to represent ΒΘΟ.
Our chapter was awarded 3 certificates of participation (Chapters United, Project READ, M.A.D.D.), placed third in the Travel award, and placed second for our Honors-in-Action Project and College Project. We also received two individual awards: Regional Scholar, 2nd Place and the Regional Distinguished Chapter Officer Award.

Anton Molina place second on the Regional Scholar award and I won the Regional Distinguished Chapter Officer award.
Finally, Beta Theta Omicron received the prestigious, Regional Distinguished Chapter Award, in addition to winning the 5-Star Chapter Development Award for our continued excellence, the Yearbook Award, Honors in Action Issue #9 Award, and Distinguished Chapter Officer Team Award. So many BOOs contributed to the success of our chapter. I only hope more people take advantage of their Phi Theta Kappa membership, and get involved. This is not only to ameliorate oneself, but also to embrace the opportunity to serve others and give back to society in the process.

Just wanted to share this photo of the tantalizing dessert I had for our last lunch buffet at the convention.

For my few words of acknowledgement, I would like to thank my advisor and mentor, Dr. Christine Case, and professors, Kathleen Feinblum and Jennifer Merrill, for writing the recommendation letters that helped win me this award. 

If y'all want to be a part of Beta Theta Omicron's amazing Phi Theta Kappa journey, feel free to drop by our Spring 2012 general meetings. They are on Mondays at 2pm in Bldg 7 Room 7106 at Skyline College. Have a blessed day! To God be the glory.

☮ and ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment